Helpful Tips to Make Moving Easier
How to Make Moving Day Simpler
Everyone knows that moving can be extremely stressful. Especially if you’re not organized, things can end up lost or broken making it even more difficult to get settled into your new home. Here are some tips to help make moving as stress free as possible:
- Have a game plan: There a ton of things to remember to do both on the day of your move and during the first few weeks in your new home. By making a checklist for everything you need to do it will make it easier to remember and will be a good reference when it starts to get hectic.
- Label your boxes: While packing up each room, make sure to label the outside of the boxes clearly with the room that it came from and even the contents so that you know exactly what is in each box. This will eliminate the guesswork when unloading the boxes and figuring out what room they go in and will make unpacking simpler.
- Pack an overnight bag for the day of the move: On the actual day of the move, make your life easier by packing an overnight bag. Having some clothes and your essentials (toiletries, chargers, etc.) with you is convenient since you probably won’t get around to unpacking everything on the first day.
- Keep small items together: When packing up electronics and furniture, use a plastic bag to keep all the cords, remotes, screws, and other small pieces together. Once all the pieces are in the bag, tape it to the TV, dresser, or whatever item the pieces go to. This way when you go to setup the TV in your new home, all the cords and remotes are already together.
- Take pictures before you pack up: If you know that you’ll want a room set up the same way in your new home, take a picture of it to help you remember. You should also take pictures of the backs of electronics with a lot of confusing wires making it easier to plug them back in the right way. Having a source of reference will make things less stressful in your new home.
- Keep clothes on the hangers: When packing clothes that are on hangers, use garbage bags. Leave the clothes on the hangers and wrap them in a garbage bag so that you don’t have to take all of them off the hangers and put them all back on in your new home.
- Eliminate unnecessary items as you pack: As you’re packing up your home, think about getting rid of some things you’ll no longer need. Any clothes, furniture or other homegoods that you no longer need can be donated. This is not only helping other people but also helping your move become a bit lighter and reduce some clutter in your new home.
Call your service providers: Contacting your service providers ahead of time will ensure that all of the utilities in your new home will be ready for you on move in day. Having internet, water, and gas when you get to your new home will be one less thing you need to worry about it when you get there. Calling your providers to let them know you’re moving is also important so that they can stop your service at your old home address – this way you’re not paying for utilities when you’re no longer living there.